International Green Gown Awards
Deadline 31 March 2023
**Note – you can change the language of this page by selecting your desired language in the drop down box located in the top right hand corner of this page.
- The Application Form is available to download from the foot of this page
- Please read the guidance notes
- Please read the category criteria
- Any questions? Please email us
Why enter the International Green Gown Awards?
- Is your institution addressing climate action?
- Is your institution benefitting society?
- Is your institution creating positive impacts?
- Is your institution integrating equity, social justice and inclusion within its sustainability work?
- Is your institution championing nature on its campuses?
- Is your institution providing next generation learning and skills?
- Is your institution empowering students?
- Is your institution the most sustainable institution of the year?
In partnership with and endorsed by the UN Environment Programme, we are looking for inspirational sustainability leaders. Recognising exceptional sustainability initiatives being undertaken by the world’s universities and colleges, the International Green Gown Awards set the bar and put every learning institution at the heart of delivering the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
The International Green Gown Awards are in partnership with the Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU), L’Agence universitaire de la Francophonie (AUF) and International Association of Universities (IAU).
The International Green Gown Awards are supported by the UN Environment Programme and are open to any university or college across the world*.
The ethos of the International Green Gown Awards is to ensure the lessons and example of good practice are shared and will put universities and colleges as leaders in sustainability as well as being able to continue their learning from global leaders. The International Green Gown Awards are administered by EAUC.
There is no limit on the number of applications or categories each institution can enter. Entry is free of charge but we do ask for a suggested fee of $150 USD if your institution is able to do so. This donation helps us to continue delivering the Awards. Please make your donation here. If you are unable to use the donation site then please contact us for an invoice.
The categories are:
- 2030 Climate Action
- Benefitting Society
- Creating Impact
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in Sustainability – NEW FOR 2023
- Nature Positive – NEW FOR 2023
- Next Generation Learning and Skills
- Student Engagement
- Sustainability Institution of the Year
Stage 1 of the International Green Gown Awards are open to all institutions globally*. The Stage 2 of the International Green Gown Awards will see the Stage 1 Finalists along with the Winners from the Regional Green Gown Awards.
*See Exceptions below.
31 March 2023 – Application Deadline
27 April 2023 – Finalists announced
July 2023* – International Green Gown Awards Ceremony at a United Nations endorsed event – Winners announced
* Date and location to be confirmed
Get Inspiration for your Green Gown Awards Entry
Learn from previous winning and highly commended projects from our last International Green Gown Awards to get inspiration for your application.
You can also get inspiration from our previous Green Gown Award applicants by reading their entries here. Last year’s Winning, Highly Commended and Finalist institutions truly raised the bar for sustainability around the world, with projects that championed justice within indigenous communities in the Philippines, set up rainwater harvesting and solar power projects in India, and implemented place-based student engagement in sustainability in Australia. See these incredible success on the website and YouTube channel.
Reward your sustainability journey
Applying for an International Green Gown Award will not only motivate your team, management and students but it will inspire others in the sector to do more and opens the doors to new opportunities:
- Acknowledging your team’s efforts – engage your staff and students
- Raising your profile and showcase your sustainability excellence via events, case studies and videos
- Helping to gain recognition from senior management
- Obtaining regional and international recognition
- Joining a network of exceptional institutions with year-long promotion for your institution
Winning an International Green Gown Award will bring huge awareness and positive press to not only your institution as a whole but also to the profile of sustainability within it.
If your region already has an existing Green Gown Awards programme then you are not NOT eligible to apply to the International Green Gown Awards. If your institution has a campus outside of these regions then the regional campus initiatives are eligible for entry. The following Green Gown Award Programmes exist:
UK & Ireland Green Gown Awards
Green Gown Awards Australasia
Les Trophées des campus responsables (French speaking worldwide)
- Application Form 2023 (DOCX 248KB)